"Hope was all that sustained many."Near this site, from about 1845 until 1889, stood the building that housed Richmond's famous Libby Prison. Originally built as a warehouse by wealthy Richmond businessman John Enders, Sr., a portion of the structure was leased prior to the Civil War by Northern-born Luther Libby, who sold groceries and shipping supplies here. When the war began Libby was evicted by the Confederate government, which used the building as a prison for Union officers captured at battlefields throughout the South.
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 2:36pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 285573 N 4156525|
|Decimal Degrees||37.53080000, -77.42671667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 31.848', W 77° 25.603'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 31' 50.88" N, 77° 25' 36.18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||757, 804|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2001 E Cary St, Richmond VA 23223, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.