Safford City Hall started life as a school building. Safford School System bids for the North Ward School were opened in February 1898. The contract was awarded to R. A. Smith Jr. and John Morris. The new building was ready for the fall term in September. The cost was $5,400.
The brick walls are 18 inch on the lower level and 13 inch on the top floor. It featured a galvanized roof with iron detailing and a large bell tower. There were two 24 by 35 foot rooms on each floor with a wide hallway running between them. Single seats were provided for 250 students.
In February 1940, Safford passed a $40,000 bond issue to acquire block 42 from Safford Schools. The grounds and building were purchased for $24,000. The balance was for a "new town hall".
H. O. Jaasted, a Tucson architect, completed plans to renovate the building in December 1941. World War II caused the work to be put off "indefinitely". The vacant building housed the Red Cross, Rationing Board, Jr. Chamber of Commerce, the Welfare Office and more. During this period, Safford acquired a number of utility companies and those offices were located in the "Municipal Utility" building.
The City sold the 612 5th Avenue Town Hall and Fire Station to J. Green for $11,000 in July 1951. Plans were made for a new fire station on block 42. In November of 1951, the Fire Department moved into their new facility. The town clerk, city building inspector, police and judge moved into the first floor of the "Municipal Utility" building. The building then became known as the new City Hall.
The exterior remodel was designed and completed by September 1957. H. O. Jested was the architect with Talley and Sons as general contractor. A new flat roof, windows, door repairs, plaster, paint and decorative front pilasters were completed for $18,500.
This structure is not listed on the National Register of Historic Places because of the significant renovations.