Richmond Plantation on Toomer Creek was owned by William Vanderhorst. After the death of his first wife Mary, Joshua Toomer married William's daughter Sabina in 1784. Together, they acquired Richmond Plantation which they combined with the Point. In 1796, the property passed to their son Anthony V. Toomer, a wealthy physician and planter. A. V. Toomer owned other Christ Church Parish plantations and homes in Charleston and Rhode Island. Richmond and the Point were working plantations rather than family manors. The plantations produced bricks, oak firewood, rice, and livestock. Richmond and the Point remained in the Toomer family until 1856. In 1997, archaeologists studied the ruins of Richmond Plantation that were located in this park. Artifacts and architectural features provided insight into life at this nineteenth century plantation.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 11:50am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 612849 N 3641334|
|Decimal Degrees||32.90440000, -79.79330000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 54.264', W 79° 47.598'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 54' 15.84" N, 79° 47' 35.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3572 Henrietta Hartford Rd, Mt Pleasant SC 29466, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.