Incorporated 1739Flanders District, center of the First Division of land, housed the original Proprietors. Cobble Brook provided water and power for forges, tannery, cider, grist, fulling, and sawmills. Here were the first two churches, the school, general store, trading post, butcher and blacksmith shops, brickyard, animal pound, burial and parade grounds. BARZILLAI SLOSSON (1769-1812) first Kent lawyer and historian was born and lived here, also BIRDSEY GRANT NORTHROP (1817-1898) educator, champion of Arbor Day, founder of Village Improvement Societies.
|Placed By||Town of Kent, Kent Historical Society and Connecticut Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 1:29am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 628458 N 4622088|
|Decimal Degrees||41.74023333, -73.45518333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 44.414', W 73° 27.311'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 44' 24.84" N, 73° 27' 18.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5 Cobble Rd, Kent CT 06757, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.