Vienna Station, shown in the center of the photograph below in 1864, has stood here since the arrival of the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railway (later the Washington & Old Dominion Railway) in 1859.
The farm community of Ayr Hill consisted of houses, mills, a general store, and a plow factory that benefited from proximity to the railroad. The post office name was soon changed to Vienna. In 1890 Vienna was officially incorporated as a town.
In 1967, a year before the W&OD shut down altogether, The Vienna Advertiser eulogized: "The news that the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad freight station in Vienna has been closed is sad indeed. Its passing is a rather stark punctuation to the end of an era."