Williamsville Methodist ChurchWhen Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land at this location to Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church to build "thereon a church or place of worship". Construction was completed circa 1850, and the building was named in their honor. The chapel is a well-preserved example of a mid-nineteenth century, rural Methodist meeting house. The plain interior contains a balcony, recessed apse and original pews. Services were conducted here until the mid-1970s. In 1982 the Peninsula Conference of the United Methodist Church deeded the property to the Williamsville Historical Society. Griffith's Chapel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
|Placed By||Delaware Public Archives|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 12:21pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 455928 N 4305339|
|Decimal Degrees||38.89583333, -75.50821667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 53.75', W 75° 30.493'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 53' 45.00" N, 75° 30' 29.58" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3500-3692 Williamsville Rd, Houston DE 19954, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.