1776 ? 1976
First Congregational ChurchA crude, square, wooden structure surrounded by a stockade was erected near this site in 1641-2. It was the first meeting house of the Church of Christ. Later the First Congregational Church. Four members of the Wethersfield Church, including the Rev. Richard Denton, withdrew and came to Rippowam (Stamford), bringing the church records with them. Thus the Stamford and Wethersfield churches share the distinction of being the first organized churches in Connecticut. Five succeeding structures housed the congregation, four of them in this vicinity.
Mr. Denton departed in 1644 and was succeeded by the Rev. John Bishop, who served as a pastor for fifty years. The Rev. John Davenport, grandson of a New Haven Colony founder, was the third pastor.
Church attendance was compulsory for all, but travel was slow and often dangerous. Therefore, separate parishes were founded in Stanwich and New Canaan in 1733, Darien in 1741 and North Stamford in 1782.
Kiwanis Club of Stamford
Stamford Historical Society