c. 1730The Timothy Hanson House stood on this site until it was relocated in 2006. The front of the building, commissioned by the Delaware Association of REALTORS, for its headquarters in 2006, is a replica of the structure known as the Hanson house. The dwelling is believed to have been moved here after 1837. Moving structures was a common practice at that time due to the high cost of material. It is possible that Timothy Hanson owned the structure before it was moved, but no record of the arrival of the structure to Water Street has been found.
The Hanson House was an example of eighteenth century vernacular architecture in Dover, and was one of the last remaining wood frame buildings from this early period of Dover's history, when Water Street was the route to the St. Jones River where goods would be shipped and received. During its history, the building served as a home and a variety of commercial uses including storage for a creamery. Like other buildings that lined Water Street at that time, its early use was likely related to its close proximity to the river.
The structure remained until purchased in 2005 by DAR, which donated the structure to be relocated and restored.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 10th, 2014 at 8:47am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 455096 N 4334152|
|Decimal Degrees||39.15541667, -75.51970000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 9.325', W 75° 31.182'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 9' 19.50" N, 75° 31' 10.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 168-198 E Water St, Dover DE 19901, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.