(Continued from the other side)
In 1904, the Sheffield Development Company replaced local passenger train service with streetcars which utilized the railroad tracks until 1933. The railroad was abandoned in 1988 by the Norfolk-Southern Railroad Company and was donated in 1993 to the Old Railroad Bridge Company with the adjoining right-of-way. In 1995, this property, minus the bridge, was given to the City of Sheffield. The railroad bed was paved by the city in 1999 and named Ashe Boulevard in memory of Laughlin Ashe, Mayor of Sheffield from 1992 until his death in 1995.
|Placed By||Sponsored by the Old Railroad Bridge Company and Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 4:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 438953 N 3848782|
|Decimal Degrees||34.77940000, -87.66720000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 46.764', W 87° 40.032'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 46' 45.84" N, 87° 40' 1.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1223 TVA Nature Loop, Sheffield AL 35660, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.