Pawley's Island:This island, located about ½ mile east, was used by plantation householders who lived on the seashore from May to November to escape malaria, or "summer fever." A number of houses built about 1850, and the summer academy and rectory of All Saints' Parish remain. The hurricane of 1822 destroyed most earlier homes.
Waccamaw NeckNarrow Strip of land from Atlantic Ocean to Waccamaw River. Rice plantations flourished by 1740. Remaining are c. 1790 houses, Litchfield and Prospect Hill, and one slave chapel. All Saints Parish est. 1767. Area furnished salt for Revolutionary War. Visitors included Lafayette 1777, Washington 1791, J. Monroe 1819, Churchill 1932, F. Roosevelt 1944.