The emigrant ship Niantic stood on this spot in the early days "when the water came up to Montgomery Street." Converted to other uses, it was covered with a shingle roof with offices and stores on the deck, at the level which was constructed a wide balcony surmounted by a verandah. The hull was divided into warehouses, entered into by doorways on the sides.
The fire of May 3, 1851, destroyed all but the submerged hulk which was later utilized as the foundation for the Niantic Hotel, a famous hostelry which stood until 1872.
This tablet was placed by the Historic Landmarks Committee of the Sons of the Golden West, Sept. 19, 1919.