June , 1876 - The Chiricahua Apache Indian Reservation is abolished. Apaches who are not relocated to other reservations are labeled renegades. Military patrols are sent throughout southeastern Arizona in search of them.
March, 1878 - Camp Supply is established just north of the International Border near San Bernardino Ranch to provide supplies and assist patrols pursuing renegade Indians. The camp is poorly situated for grazing needs and the Governor of Sonora protests the proximity to the Border.
April, 1878 - Camp Supply is moved "to a point near the junction of the main creeks in White River Canon" (known today as Rucker Canyon) on the west side of the Chiriccahua Mountains.
April - June, 1878 - 2nd Lieutenant John A. "Tony" Rucker and 1st Lieutenant Austin Henely, the commanders of Company C and Company D Indian Scouts, are stationed at Camp Supply. Their companies of Indian soldiers are used in patrols searching for Indians and as escorts along major travel routes.
July, 1878 - Lts. Rucker and Henely die by drowning in White River Canyon during a flash flood.
Dec., 1878 - Camp Supply is renamed Camp Rucker, in honor of Lt. Rucker.
Nov., 1880 - Camp Rucker is formally abandoned.
1883 - Michael Gray purchases the property under a "Squatters Claim" to start a ranch.
May-Sept., 1886 - Various troops of the 4th cavalry and Indian Scouts use the Camp for "scouting and observation" during the Geronimo campaign. Heliograms (messages in Morse code flashed with mirrors and reflected sunlight) are used in the canyon during this period. A heliographic station is located on a peak near the Camp.
1894 - Fort Bowie, at the northern end of the Chiricahuas, is abandoned. Rucker Canyon ranchers receive poorer mail service and greater isolation than they had been accustomed to in previous years.
April -May, 1896 - Troop E of the 7th Cavalry under the command of Lt. Bullock used the old Camp as their base for a series of scouting expeditions.
1883 - 1970 - Camp Rucker becomes Old Camp Rucker Ranch, home and ranch headquarters for four successive families: Michael Gray, Theodore and Mathilde Hampe, Charles and Mary Rak, and Ella Dana.
1970 - Property is transferred to Forest Service ownership by Mrs. Ella Dana.