The idea for a memorial fountain to honor General Robert Anderson, the American Revolutionary hero for whom our county is named, was part of an overall plan to beautify downtown Anderson. Through the efforts of Mrs. Rufus Fant and the Anderson Civic Association, a small park was designed to surround the fountain, replacing the old hitching post area. Along the base of the fountain are the names of the officers of the Anderson Civic Association, the casting date "1905", and the dedication to General Robert Anderson.
The original location of the fountain was the east side of the downtown 1898 County Courthouse. In 1977, the fountain was moved several yards to the east for a more centered location in Johnston Park. It would remain in that location until it was dismantled in 1993. The fountain was in storage until a grass root fundraising effort, spearheaded by the citizens of Anderson County, saw the restoration of the fountain and its installation at the present museum location. The Robert Anderson Memorial Fountain is one of the most recognizable landmarks of Anderson County.