The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850. This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in a structure of its own at Pilot Knob, 1894-1936. Successively called "Stapp," "White House," and "Pilot Knob" Baptist Church, the congregation moved to Andice in 1936. It now worships near the original site, where the first pastor, Josiah Andrews, used to hang his pistol on a peg on the hewn, oak-stump Bible stand while he preached.