— PE-WAUK-EE-WEE-NING, "meaning Lake of Shells" —Site of Potowatomi village. Vermonter Asa Clark arrived in 1836 and acquired most of the land around the northeast shore of the lake. He built a dam in 1839, also a sawmill and grist mill. The population increased as Yankee settlers arrived. Early businesses included wagon making, barrel making, a dry goods store, a blacksmith, tannery, and pump factory. Both church & school met in Clark's parlor. The Watertown Plank Road came in 1850, and the railroad in 1854. Improved transportation gave rise to the ice industry in the 1880's. Breweries and meat packers shipped rail cars of their products to distant markets using Pewaukee Lake ice. Following the Civil War Pewaukee became a summer resort area. Several large hotels were built, including the 110 room Oakton Springs, later destroyed by fire. Today Pewaukee is a friendly village of homes, churches, and small businesses, close to large cities, but retaining small town charm.
|Placed By||Waukesha County HIstorical Society, Funded by PAHS|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 1:56pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 396998 N 4771043|
|Decimal Degrees||43.08511667, -88.26543333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 5.107', W 88° 15.926'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 5' 6.42" N, 88° 15' 55.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||262, 414|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 257 Wisconsin Ave, Pewaukee WI 53072, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.