Among the first settlers at Georgetown were the families of Captain Harrison Adam Leonard, Kenneth McKenzie, William Oliver and James G. Salisbury. Other early families represented were Bledsoe, Christian, Crawford, Ellington, Guerry, Mercer, Morris, Neel and Warren.
Georgetown was designated in 1859 as the county seat of Quitman Co. and was laid out as a town by order of the Inferior Court. The town was incorporated by Act of the Legislature Dec. 9, 1859.
In the immediate vicinity on the Georgia side of the Chattahoochee River was located the original Lower Creek Indian town of Eufaula which was visited and described by Benjamin Hawkins, U.S. Indian Agent, in 1799.
Near Georgetown on the banks of Tobanana Creek a brigade of Federal Cavalry commanded by Gen Benjamin H. Greierson camped for a time in 1865 at the close of War Between the States.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 8:56am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16R E 678850 N 3529333|
|Decimal Degrees||31.88576667, -85.10900000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 53.146', W 85° 6.54'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 53' 8.76" N, 85° 6' 32.40" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2-198 Main St, Georgetown GA 39854, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.