By tradition, Healing Springs got its name during the Revolutionary War. In 1781 after a bloody battle at nearby Windy Hill Creek, four wounded Tories sent inland from Charleston by General Banastre "The Butcher" Tarleton were left in the care of two comrades who had orders to bury them when they died. Luckily, Native Americans found them and took them to their secret, sacred, healing springs. Six months later the Charleston Garrison was astonished by the reappearance of the six men. All were strong and healthy.
Ownership of the springs passed from native "Indian " tribes who revered them to an Indian trader, Nathaniel Walker, who bought them with corn. The site passed through several hands until it was acquired by L/P. Boylston. On July 21, 1944, he deeded the land and springs to GOD. The waters , by analysis are exceptionally pure and contain healthful minerals. People today, as in the past, believe they truly are Healing Springs.