This building was built in 1926 by Stanton and Elizabeth E. Ennes during the development of the City of Venice by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers according to the 1925 Comprehensive Plan drafted by city planner John Nolen. This Mediterranean Revival Style building is representative of the commercial structure of the time.
The building originally housed, the Turner Company (a clothing store), Arcade Barber Shop, Florida Power & Light Company, G.B. Prime Hardware Company, Post Office, news stand for the Venice News and the Hotel Valencia, renamed in 1938 the El Patio Hotel. Purchased in 1948 by the W.L. Miles family, the El Patio Hotel is the only remaining in-town hotel of those built in the mid 1920s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Comments 0 comments