This is a two sided marker
At this site on May 15th 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad auctioned off lots for the creation of the new city of Las Vegas. With 110 degree temperatures scorching the crowds, about three thousand people gathered to bid on the prime lots, many of which sold for up to $1,750 each.
Instantaneously, a tent city sprang to life, and soon permanent buildings marked the emergence of the new city. Las Vegas began its life as a railroad town.
First Train Depot
Las Vegas was born a railroad town. The first train depot was built here by the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad in 1905. Senator William A. Clark of Montana, and his brother J. Ross Clark, were the co-founders of this railroad. The brothers eventually sold their interest to the Union Pacific in 1921. The early Mission style depot was replaced in 1940 by a streamline Moderne structure. The depot was demolished in 1970 to make way for the Union Plaza Hotel, which was built in 1971. Passenger train service continued for many years with the depot located inside the hotel. At the head of Fremont Street, the depot building symbolized the railroad's economic, political and social dominance over the town.