Theodore B. Sheldon, prominent local grain merchant and business leader, bequeathed to the City of Red Wing half of his estate to be used for a public purpose. After his death in 1900, his trustees chose to construct the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium.Erected by the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium Board
Built in 1904, it is believed to be the first municipally owned playhouse in the United States.
The gray brick building of Renaissance style, designed by Lowell Lamoreaux, originally had a triple doorway at the entrance and porte-coch?res for carriage patrons at either side.
The interior of the theatre, described as a jewel box, glowed with the elegance of ornate plaster work in ivory and gold set off against the deep red of the carpets and velvet draperies.
The building was damaged by fire and reconstructed in 1918. Motion pictures, introduced at the Auditorium in 1917, became increasingly popular, necessitating remodeling in 1936 to provide additional seating.
In 1988, the interior of the theatre was restored to its 1904 appearance with financial support from the Red Wing Area Fund, local corporations, individuals, and the passage of a bond issue.
Through the years a succession of show troupes, noted lecturers, musical groups and distinguished artists have graced the stage of the T.B. Sheldon Memorial Auditorium. Used extensively by local talent as well, it continues to be the focal point of the community's cultural life.
and the Red Wing Heritage Preservation Commission