Three miles west stands the third church of Hungars Parish, begun in 1742 and completed by 1751, one of two colonial churches remaining on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The parish built the glebe house or minister's residence, 5.5 miles west, about 1745. Ordered by the state to sell it after disestablishment of the English Church in 1786, the vestry protested and retained custody until 1859. Vaucluse, named for a region of southern France and long the seat of the Upsher family, stands 4.5 miles south of the glebe. Abel Parker Upshur, born there in 1799, served President John Tyler as secretary of state from 1843 until 1844 when a cannon explosion aboard USS Princeton killed him and other officials.