Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect
— 1910 —Albert and Henry Atkins founded the Badger State Shoe Factory in Milwaukee in 1893. They expanded production to Madison in 1900 and in 1910 constructed this building to consolidate manufacturing operations. Significant for its association with turn of the century industrial expansion in Madison, this was the only large shoe factory in the city. The work of Madison architect Ferdinand Kronenberg, its progessive design included an exterior with understated classical elements and a modern interior having an open plan, which was ventilated and lit by 225 double hung windows.
|Series||This marker is part of the Wisconsin: Madison Landmarks Commission series|
|Placed By||The Madison Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16T E 306366 N 4772587|
|Decimal Degrees||43.08128333, -89.37871667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 43° 4.877', W 89° 22.723'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||43° 4' 52.62" N, 89° 22' 43.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 123-199 N Blount St, Madison WI 53703, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.