This Sign Greeted New Arrivals As They Arrived At The Pipeline Construction Camp Located One Mile West Of Here. We Salvaged This Sign When The Camp Was Being Dismantled.—> ——— <—This is the site of the former gold mining community of Coldfoot, which was built here at the turn of the century. According to historical records, the original town of Coldfoot got its name in the summer of 1900 when one of waves of green stampeders got as far up the Koyukuk as this point, then got cold feet, turned around and ran. The settlement consisted of one gambling hall, two roadhouses, two stores, and seven saloons. In about 1912, the miners relocated in Wiseman, about 11 north of here.
You are about 55 miles north of the Arctic Circle on the East Bank of the Middle Fork Koyukuk River at the mouth of Slate Creek, which drains to the east.
—> ——— <—Coldfoot is a temporary camp, built in 1970 to accommodate up to 260 workers during the construction of the Alaska State Highway here, and up to 450 workers during construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. The altitude here is about 1,062 feet.