The earliest neighborhood in Pell City was the Residential District, located on the northern boundary of the Downtown Historic District. The Residential District was the preferred location for many of the earliest leaders involved in the growth and development of Pell City. The city was incorporated in 1891 and named for George Hamilton Pell of New York, a leading investor in the railroad that influenced the city's location. The town almost disappeared after the Panic of 189, but due to the vision and leadership of Sumter Cogswell, was revived in 1902. The homes of Sumter Cogswell and Green Evans, Pell City's first mayor, are two of the earliest structures, dating from the late nineteenth century. The district is composed of sixteen full and partial blocks, centering on First, Second, and Third Avenues North and containing 105 historic structures. The majority of the houses date from 1902 to 1930. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 2001.