(1861-1862)The First California Infantry, under Col. James H. Carleton, and First California Calvary, under Lt. Col. Benjamin F. Davis, marched from the port of San Pedro, 18 miles, a day's journey, to lay out Camp Latham. Named for U.S. Sen. Milton S. Latham, who also served as California's 6th governor, the purpose of the camp was to curb Southern sentiment. This Civil War tent encampment, California's initial southern staging area for the war, was located on the south side of Ballona Creek, in this area, (now Jefferson and Overland), on a portion of Rancho La Ballona that became Culver City. Union Camp Kellogg existed nearby, north of Ballona Creek.
|Placed By||Culver City Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 3:08pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 371182 N 3763707|
|Decimal Degrees||34.00608333, -118.39496667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 0.365', W 118° 23.698'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 0' 21.90" N, 118° 23' 41.88" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||310, 323|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 10915 W Washington Blvd, Culver City CA 90230, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.