Near this site was located June Lake's first and only commercial mining venture organized in 1924. The district was composed of ten mines or claims, which produced high-grade ore of zinc, lead and silver.
During its heyday, the mines employed 15 workers and produced 100 tons of ore. The facilities included an assay office, shop, pump and bunk houses. Elaborate electrical and hydraulic systems were constructed to operate the mining equipment and machinery.
By 1929 the mines began to falter and soon thereafter all commercial operations ceased. Most of the equipment, machinery and buildings were dismantled and sold. Sporadic private mining activities continued into the 1950s, however those were marginally successful.
Although its existence was brief, the June Lake Mining District made a lasting contribution to the development of Mono County and the June Lake Loop. Today, remnants can still be seen along the east slopes of Reversed Peak.