c. 1780The building is considered to be the oldest building in Chesapeake City. Charles and Sarah Beaston purchased Bayard House in 1809 and opened as a tavern and inn in 1829. The tavern was run by Firman Layman until his death in 1881. In 1911, it was called The Harriot Hotel. The local claim to fame is the "Hole in the Wall Bar". The name comes from a hole in the back of the bar where blacks would be served by reaching their hands in to receive a drink. The handsome brick building was meticulously restored in 1983 by Allaire DuPont. About that time the name was changed to "The Bayard House". No details were spared including the locks on the doors which are replicas of two original ones found in the attic. The restaurant has year round water front dining where ships from all over the world may be viewed every day and into the night. The canal is the 3rd busiest in the world.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland: Chesapeake City Historic District series|
|Placed By||Donated by the Bayard House|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 11th, 2014 at 12:33pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 430219 N 4375633|
|Decimal Degrees||39.52751667, -75.81191667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 31.651', W 75° 48.715'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 31' 39.06" N, 75° 48' 42.90" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City MD 21915, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.