Boeing Plaza - Aerospace Walk of Honor
On loan from the United States Air Force, this F-4 Phantom II was acquired on November 7, 2001 from Edwards Air Force Base and transported to the Boeing Company facility at USAF Plant 42. Boeing volunteers worked many hours to restore the fighter to its original condition. In the early morning hours of September 21, 2002, the F-4 was transported here to Boeing plaza, where it proudly flies today.
Built by McDonnell Douglas [formerly McDonnell] in St. Louis, Missouri, the Phantom II is famous for its role as a military fighter during the Vietnam War. The Navy developed it as a high-speed, long-range interceptor to protect the fleet in the 1950s. Because of its range, speed, load-carrying capacity and low maintenance needs, the U.S. Air Force adopted it as a multi-mission tactical fighter for the Vietnam War. The F-4 was also used in the 1990s during Operation Desert Storm. The F-4 flew simultaneously with the U.S. Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps.
More than 5,100 F-4s were built by McDonnell Douglas. The Phantom still holds the record for the largest production run of any supersonic fighter built in the United States [1958 - 1979]. It has also served in the first line of more Western air force than any other jet.
September 21st, 2002 - City of Lancaster
Mayor: Frank C. Roberts
Vice Mayor: Bishop Henry W. Hearns
Council Members: Jim Jeffra, Ed Sileo, Andrew D. Visokey
City Manager: James C. Gilley
Panels 2 thru 45
[photos 3 thru 11, below
Boeing Plaza - Individual Aerospace Walk of Honor Inductee Plaques