This memorial is a complex of private property of the Catholic Church of New Orleans.
Located on the grounds are several buildings of which the most notable is the OLD URSULINE CONVENT - ARCHIEPISCOPAL RESIDENCE erected by order of King Louis XV of France in 1745. It is the oldest building of record in the entire Mississippi Valley.In 1824 the property was deeded by the Ursuline nuns to the Catholic bishops of New Orleans, the main building to serve as their residence, administrative offices, and archives. Today, it again serves as the archives of the archdiocese and as a center for historical church-related research. The complex is dedicated to the memory of the most reverend Antoine Blanc, first archbishop of New Orleans (1835-80), who resided here and under whose administration the archdiocese experienced dramatic growth. Another edifice of note is our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, erected in 1845 as the chapel of the archbishops.
The Archdiocese of New Orleans began the restoration of this complex in 1970 under the direction and supervision of Rev. Msgr. Earl C. Woods, chancellor. The restoration was completed in 1977.
Commemorated by International Order of AlhambraDarro Caravan No. 29August, 1981