In 1872, John Edwards Jr. became the sole owner of the Edwards and Clinton sawmill in Port Edwards, plus several other business ventures that included a general store, post office, boarding house, farming interests and land speculations. In order to administer all these business endeavors, Edwards built the office building shown here. It was located on the riverbank at the south end of the village. Proud of his achievements and his new office building, he crowned the structure with this escutcheon, placing it on the peak of the roof.
John Edwards and Company made a natural transition from lumber production to manufacturing pulp and paper in 1895, the company now being renamed John Edwards Manufacturing Company. Then in 1908, upon the merger of three paper mills in the area, the building was expanded and became the corporate headquarters of Nekoosa Edwards Paper company. It served as such until 1961 when a new building was erected. The old office building was demolished. However, the escutcheon was preserved and hung in the hall of the new office until being moved in 2010 to this site where it remains a symbol of pride.