The first people to use the hot springs were the Bokninuwad Yokuts also called "Hoeynche" who called it "Kahtililkau" hot water. In the late 1870's T.J. and N.B. Witt filed claim to Upper Deer Creek "Hoyen Idik" which included the several hots springs. They were then known as the Deer Creek Hot Springs. By 1880 the Witt Family had developed small bathhouses and camping area and charged for their use. They sold the Springs and 300 acres in 1889 after that it sold several more times. During that time the name became California Hot Springs and was praised far and wide for its health benefits. In 1904 a large hotel was built called the Del Venado. It burned in 1932, but within two years new facilities were built. The names of Firebaugh, Pike, Wingrove, Mitchell, Williams, Newbury, and Baxter show as owners over the years until a disastrous fire in 1968 destroyed the resort buildings, leaving only the dance hall, swimming pool and a few rental cabins. In the 1980's the Gilbert family purchased what remained and with great effort brought it back to what it is today, an active successful resort.