— Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor —Built in 1853 by John H. Hite, this building has served as the principle hotel for thousands of stagecoach, railroad, and later automobile travelers between Bedford and Greensburg. In the 1870s it was enlarged from two to three stories, and in 1922 it was bricked. Over the years it contained a restaurant, bar, pool hall, barber shop, ice cream parlor, and a famous dance hall known as the Blue Room. In spite of being moved three times, it became the economic focal point for the Stoystown area during the 1930s. In 1999 it was placed on the National Register and underwent a complete renovation and conversion into senior citizen apartments.
|Series||This marker is part of the Lincoln Highway series|
|Placed By||Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 6:28am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 674325 N 4441275|
|Decimal Degrees||40.10373333, -78.95473333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 6.224', W 78° 57.284'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 6' 13.44" N, 78° 57' 17.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||814, 724|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 125 W Main St, Somerset PA 15501, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.