Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West
Page 6 of 63 — Showing results 51 to 60 of 621
This city in the days of '49 was called "Hangtown"
This was the site of Elstner's Hay Yard on which stood the ?Hangman's Tree' where vigilantes executed many men for various crimes. The stump of the tree is under this building.
This survivor of the ill-fated Donner Party was the daughter of George and Mary Blue Donner. Born near Springfield, Illinois, in 1832. She arrived in California in December 1846 with her sister, Leanna Charity Donner, and was rescued by the first relief par…
[Main Marker]:Captain John A. Sutter, after coming up the Sacramento River from Yerba Buena in August 1839, landed approximately two hundred feet north of here, at what was then the south bank of the American River. A short time thereafter he moved to the s…
Under the auspices of Knott's Berry Farm, Buena Park, Calif. Buildings shall be rebuilt on their original sites.
Walter Knott is dedicating Calico Ghost Town to the memory of the heroic silver miners who lived and toiled here.
The preservation of this…
The last remaining structure and once the original quartermaster's storehouse and commissary of Fort Bragg Military Post 1857-1864, then located near Laurel and Redwood Avenues.
This is one of the oldest Protestant churches in continuous use in California. Organized as the Presbyterian Church on November 6, 1859, the building, constructed of redwood, was dedicated on July 5, 1868.
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850's by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton and Louis…
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. Vicini, w…
This is the site of Rancho Los Putos of 10 square leagues granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico granted to Juan Felipe Pe?a and Manuel Cabeza Vaca. The Pe?a Adobe, erected here in 1842, is still owned by the descendants of the Pena-Vaca families. The town of…
Site of Prairie City, mining town and center of trade in California Gold Rush days. In July, 1853, Prairie City reached the height of its prosperity, and included fifteen stores and ten boarding houses and hotels. Two stage lines operated daily. A $50,000 q…