Historical Marker Series

South Carolina: Beaufort County Historical Society

Page 2 of 2 — Showing results 11 to 16 of 16
John Mark Verdier1759-1826Builder Of This House1795-1800General Lafayette Spoke To The PeopleOf Beaufort From This PorticoMarch 18, 1825
To St. Helena's Church, Beaufort, S.C. Built about 1740. Made a separate church after the revolution. Burned by forest fire Feb. 22, 1886.
Less than three decades after Columbus had discovered America, on Aug. 18, 1521 ( St. Helena's Day ), Spanish seafarers from Santo Domingo sighted this magnificent harbor, named its Eastern headland the Punta de Santa Elena, from which the area derived its …
Settled in 1825, as a summer resort of rice and cotton planters, this town was incorporated in 1852. Here in 1844 the was launched the protest against the Federal tariff known as the "Bluffton Movement".
Ruins of Old SheldonPrince William's Parish ChurchBuilt 1745-55. Burned 1779 by British. Rebuilt 1826. Burned1865 by Federal Army. Named forancestral home of the Bull familyin Warwickshire, England.———Annual ServicesSecond Sunday after Easter
Born in South Carolina, Pinckney was educated in England and served in the First and Second Provincial Congresses. A commander in the Revolution, he later served in the SC General Assembly, signed the US Constitution, and was adelegate to the SC Constitutio…