First Adobe Buidling In Town
— 1895 Randsburg Centennial 1995 —In October of 1897 Mr. Jones opened a dry good store in Randsburg. His building was wiped out in the great fire of May 1898, but saved most of his stock by placing it in a fireproof cellar. After the fire he immediately built a new adobe building which according George McPherson in his History of Randsburg, was the first adobe built in town. Based on the photo in Mr. McPherson's history it is believed that this is the building. Approximately 5 feet was added to the front of this building in line with the rest of the buildings on Butte Ave. Mr. Jones was in business in 1899 but is not found listed after that. In April of 1900 it was reported that Dr. Nichols was occupying the building formerly used by Mr. Jones as a dry goods store. In the 1920's is also served an office for insurance agents and mining engineers. From 1930's to 1980's it served as the Postoffice.
|Placed By||Randsburg Desert Museum|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 at 3:55pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||11S E 440374 N 3914062|
|Decimal Degrees||35.36810000, -117.65636667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 22.086', W 117° 39.382'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 22' 5.16" N, 117° 39' 22.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 169 Butte Ave, Randsburg CA 93554, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.