For centuries Indians used the trail that later became old Evergreen Highway. Where each creek entered the Columbia River the Indians made camp.
In 1805 Lewis & Clark and their expedition camped on Government Island, a haven for waterfowl. The Army from Vancouver Barracks later pastured horses on the island. Six families homesteaded and raised cattle there.
Solomon Fisher and William Simmons in 1851 filed donation land claims, founded Fishers community, built docks and cut firewood for river steamers. In 1907 Fishers became a flagstop railroad station. It had a blacksmith shop, school, a Grange hall, church, store cemetery (1852) and until 1917 a post office. Evergreen Highway was paved in 1922.
The Fisher quarry provided the 20-ton basaltic rock to build Columbia River jetties to tame the fury of Pacific Ocean storms at the river mouth.
We who sleep here in this blessed, bountiful land have seen much history unfold.