Beaumont Historical MarkerIn 1879, Beaumont was established as a railroad town. It became one of the most important shipping points in the Flint Hills. Beaumont sat atop the divide that separated Otter Creek and Little Walnut Creek. Westbound trains from Piedmont had nearly ten miles of steep grade before cresting the divide. The 25,000 gallon wooden water tower was constructed and there were 7 trains consuming 35 thousand gallons of water daily. A steam engine alone used approximately 5,000 gallons between Piedmont and Beaumont. The roundhouse was built in 1890 and had six engine stalls, with pits underneath for inspection and repair. At that time, Beaumont was established as the overhaul station between St. Louis and Wichita. They employed 90 people and built structures to house the coal, office, store rooms, ice house, showers and a depot. By 1950 shipping of cattle had been taken over by trucks; in 1955 the last steam engine passenger train went through Beaumont. This wooden water tower was the last one used on the mainline of a railroad in the United States.
|Placed By||Beaumont Hotel|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 8th, 2014 at 6:36am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 717651 N 4170414|
|Decimal Degrees||37.65511667, -96.53268333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 39.307', W 96° 31.961'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 39' 18.42" N, 96° 31' 57.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 104 SE 116th Terrace, Beaumont KS 67012, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.