After Kentucky became a state, five commissioners were appointed on June 20, 1792, to choose a location for the state capital. They were John Allen and John Edwards (both from Bourbon Co.), Henry Lee (Mason Co.), Thomas Kennedy (Madison Co.), and Robert Todd (Fayette Co.). A number of communities competed for this honor, but Frankfort won by perseverance and, according to early histories, the offer of Andrew Holmes' log house as capitol for seven years, a number of town lots, ?50 worth of locks and hinges, 10 boxes of glass, 1500 pounds of nails, and $3000 in gold.
Other contenders for the honor of being selected as the permanent seat of Kentucky state government had offered, as was customary, lists of contributions. These hopeful towns were Legerwood's Bend (Mercer County), Delany's Ferry and Petersburg (Woodford County), Louisville, Lexington, Leestown, and Frankfort. After thorough examination of all sites, the commissioners, following a majority vote, met with the legislature in Lexington on December 5, 1792, and gave their recommendation — that Frankfort was the most suitable site for the state capital. See over.