Gov. J. C. W. Beckham promoted construction of New Capitol due to overcrowding and disrepair in Old Capitol. Federal funds for Civil and Spanish-American War claims paid half of $1,820,000 cost. In 1904, Frank M. Andrews selected as architect. Cornerstone laid 1906. Capitol completed during Gov. A. E. Willson's term. Legislature met Jan.; building dedicated June 1910.
Building's style is neo-classic, with 70 Ionic monolithic columns. North pediment shows a heroine—Kentucky—with Progress, History, Law, Art, and Labor as attendants. French influence portrayed by dome and rotunda, designed like tomb of Napoleon, and white marble stairs with banisters, copies of those in Paris Opera House. Murals in east and west wings by Gilbert White.