At this location, "1150" California Street, now the site of the Choir, stood William H. Crocker's Queen Anne style mansion (1888). The Deuxieme Empire-Italian Villa style mansion (1877) of his father, Charles Crocker, was at the N.W. corner of California & Taylor. Both buildings were destroyed in the earthquake and fire of 1906. Subsequently, the Crocker family, in consultation with the Rt. Rev. William Ford Nichols, second Bishop of California, donated this entire block as the site for Grace cathedral. The cornerstone was laid on January 24, 1910.
In commemoration of their generosity of spirit and in the presence of their descendants, Charles Crocker III and Charles de Limur, we dedicate this memorial.
The Rt. Rev. William E. Swing, Seventh Bishop of California
The Hon. Cyril Magnin, Chairman, Crocker Memorial Plaque Committee
The Very Rev. David M. Gillespie, Sixth Dean of Grace Cathedral
Caspar W. Weinberger, Jr., Chairman, Memorials Committee
Kip Clifford Lee-Bevier, Descendant, The Rt. Rev. William Ingraham Kip, First Bishop of California
Michael L. Ainslie, President, National Trust for Historic Preservation
Elizabeth Leona Downing-Olson, Honorary Chairman, Nob Hill Historical Society
Robert Downing-Olson, President, Nob Hill Historical Society
March 15, 1983