The town of Spreckels was established by Claus Spreckels in 1898 as a company town to provide a complete community (including store, school, hotel, church, theater, etc.) for employees of the Spreckels Sugar Company. When built, the Spreckels Factory #1 was the largest and most innovative sugar beet factory in the world. It operated here from 1898 to 1982, and was demolished in 1992. The town of Spreckels retains its original street grid, park, and most of the buildings constructed for the Spreckels Sugar Company between 1898 and 1957. Some of the oldest buildings and residences were designed by noted architect, William Weeks.