Before white men came to this area the Indians blazed a trail between Lake Erie and Lake Chautauqua over which they, early explorers and settlers, portaged their canoes. At the Chadakoin River rapids the canoe was portaged again. Here is where the explorers rested and started a settlement which is now the City of Jamestown.
This bronze sculpture, symbolic of the portage, was presented to the city on Sept. 29, 1971 by the Rotary Club of Jamestown, New York.
This plaque commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Rotary Club in Jamestown, being chartered on June 17, 1919. On this occasion we rededicate ourselves to fulfilling the Rotary International motto: "Service Above Self."