Where the Old Village once stood, little evidence remains. In its heyday, thousands of tourists arrived on horseback, in wagons, and in early Model T Fords. They danced, bathed, and slept here. Today this is hard to imagine, as the meadow seems so pristine. The National Park Service relocated the old buildings over time, removing the last building, Degnan's Bakery, in 1881.
Seeds of Change
A century of trash once lay buried beneath this meadow's surface, obstructing water flow and preventing plant growth. In 1993, restoration crews using excavators dug up and removed the debris. The water essential to maintain a healthy meadow returned, and seeds that had lain dormant for nearly a century came back to life.