— Eminent Botanist, Author, Stone Mason, & Scientist —Marshalton was named in honor of Humphry Marshall, noted 18th century scientist and stone mason, whose botanical garden and home are adjacent to the Center House property. Humphrey's name appears on many of the tavern license petitions, and he may have had a hand in the tavern's remarkable stonework. Humphrey's nephew Abraham Marshall III purchased the Center House from Joseph Martin in April, 1776, but did not run the tavern himself until 1786. Aside from Humphrey's local fame as a craftsman, he became known worldwide in 1785, when he published what is believed to be the first American essay on native trees and shrubs, Arbustum Americanum the American Grove. Humphrey, like his cousin John Bartrum, spent much of his life dedicated to the study, cataloging, and collection of North American plants. Unlike his impact on this region, particularly his public service and interest in developing the Strasburg Road, Humphrey's contributions to science have often gone overlooked. Humphry Marshall continues, as he has in the past, to be a role model of citizenship and personal character for the people of Chester County.
|Placed By||Friends of Martins Tavern|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014 at 9:57am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 441798 N 4422409|
|Decimal Degrees||39.94981667, -75.68133333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 56.989', W 75° 40.88'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 56' 59.34" N, 75° 40' 52.80" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 484|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1406 W Strasburg Rd, West Chester PA 19382, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.