The Confederates used earth and a "blindage" of timbers as protection against shot and shells falling within the fort. To reduce casualties from flying debris, the "light colonnade" or veranda roof along the gorge was removed.
Three months after the battle, with the Parade restored, the 48th New York Volunteers stood "on review." Those not on duty in the background found another way to use the Parade. This is one of the first known photographs of baseball being played.
By the time the fort was established as a National Monument in 1924, the Parade was overgrown with vegetation. Restoration would not begin until 1933, when Fort Pulaski became a part of the National Park System.
With the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), widespread preservation maintenance was performed during the Great Depression. Remarkably, the only major portion needing complete reconstruction was the veranda roof, dismantled by the Confederates in 1862.