1851- 1861The town of Deadwood, in its brief existence, was one of the most important business centers in early Siskiyou County. In 1857 there wee three stores, three saloons, two butcher shops, a bakery, a blacksmith shop, two stables, and a dairy. Among the Deadwood businessmen were William Davidson, owner of a general store and butcher shop; C.H. Pyle, operator of another butcher shop; and William Pool, owner of a trading post. The drugstore was owned by Dr, Daniel Ream. Other businessmen included Caleb Gartrell, Nathaniel Sawyer, S.E. Stone, A.B. Carlock, and M. Rosenberg. In comparison to the large business section with its two hotels, there were few residences in town. Most of the miners lived in tents, log cabins, and shelters of all types scattered along the creeks and gulches. In 1856 the town was second to Yreka in population and cast 475 votes at the county convention of 1857. Deadwood came within a few votes of winning the county seat. By 1858 the glory of Deadwood had begun to fade. On December 26, 1861 a disastrous fire burned most of the town and soon after other fires completely destroyed the town of Deadwood.
|Placed By||Siskiyou County Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, September 5th, 2014 at 10:31am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10T E 516358 N 4618072|
|Decimal Degrees||41.71428333, -122.80335000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 42.857', W 122° 48.201'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 42' 51.42" N, 122° 48' 12.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 132 Deadwood Creek Rd, Fort Jones CA 96032, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.