(Pryor Field)The Southeast Air Forces Training Center operated by Southern Aviation Training School, also known as Pryor Field, was constructed in 1941. These two aircraft hangars and beacon tower are the remaining artifacts of one of only a few World War II Army Air Forces Training Centers that have remained in continuous use as airplanes hangars since 1941. The school provided primary flight training for Army Air Forces pilots. The facility was deactivated on December 28, 1944 and turned over to the Army Corps of Engineers in September 1945. The training center was eventually discharged to the War Assets Administration as surplus and became a civil airport. The hangars were then used to convert surplus Army aircraft for commercial airline use for the Southern Airways Company which became part of Delta Airlines.
|Placed By||Alabama Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 12:25am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 504762 N 3834220|
|Decimal Degrees||34.64990000, -86.94803333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 38.994', W 86° 56.882'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 38' 59.64" N, 86° 56' 52.92" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 2351-2481 Flightline Rd, Tanner AL 35671, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.