(Flower Hill Farm)
Build abt. 1858 by Schuyler Harris on land once owned by Henry Augustine Washington, a distant relative of the first president. Through purchases, marriages, and inheritance between the Washington, Harris and Pryor families, all from Virginia, a large plantation of over 3,000 acres was established. Long after the demise of slavery, approx. 60 tenant families lived on the land.
Schuyler Harris gave this house to his daughter, Ida Maria and her husband Wm. Richard Pryor, a son Sen. Luke Pryor II and Isabella Virginia (Harris) Pryor. It is through this descent that this historic house and farm known as "Flower Hill", is owned and held in trust for future generations by Luke Pryor IV and his wife Betty (Lamb) Pryor. It is managed through a family corporation, and is not open to the public.
(Continued on the other side)
(Continue from other side)
Across the highway is a large spring known since early times as "English Spring." It produced enough water for a town, and the little settlement, which formed around it, was a contender for the site of the county seat. It was not chosen however and the settlement ceased to exist.
This area for several miles around was known as "Quid Nunc" (Latin for "what next") Beat and Post Office until about 1910 when it was changed to Harris Station, a community which had formed along the RR tracks to the SW. "Time and "progress" have brought about the demise of that community, named for the prominent Harris Family. The Harris Cemetery is among the trees across the highway.