This marker consists of six plaques arranged in a 2 X 3 pattern. The top left plaque is the title plaque and may contain some text. The top right plaque displayed an arrow which points in the direction of the named street. Other plaques contain biographical information on the person for whom the street is named, appropriate quotation(s) and relevant illustrations, cast in bronze.
In February of 1853, the United States Topographical Engineers published their first detailed survey of the city, showing new streets, many named for army and navy officers. Fremont and Folsom were prominent officers; Harrison, Bryant and King held important city and port positions' Spear and Brannon had been pioneers in Yerba Buena before San Francisco has its name.
Quartermaster's Clerk of the Stevenson Regiment of First New York Volunteers, Edward H. Harrison came from an obscure past to occupy a respectable role in the nascent civic affairs of San Francisco, becoming Port Collector in 1848 before returning to the East in 1850. Harrison typified the ordinary men of the Stevenson Regiment recruited from the Irish mechanics of New York, who arrived in California too late 1847 to affect the course of the War with Mexico, but stayed to rise to prominence in the state.
"And when the Future shall mature, which now receives its birth, when California stands among the mighty powers of earth; then Californians, pause to think who brought these blessings rare. Think who it was first pealed the note of Freedom on the air, and you will learn with heartfelt praise, to bless the happy day, when Freedom took its westward flight to California." - Anonymous member of Stevenson Regiment · 1847