(One-Half Mile West)Only dependable water supply in miles of arid terrain. Used by Indians for centuries. Named for either Maj. Jefferson Van Horne (who passed here en route to establish fort at El Paso, in 1849), or for Lt. J.J. Van Horn (stationed here to fight Indians, 1859). Wagon trains from south Texas welcomed the "seep-water" from wells, as did soldiers on San Antonio—El Paso military road. Riders for "Jackass Mail" (San Antonio—San Diego) stopped here, and the Butterfield Mail Line built a stage stand at wells, 1859. Town of Van Horn grew up (12 miles north) in 1880s.
|Placed By||State Historical Survey Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 9:33pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13R E 519980 N 3417112|
|Decimal Degrees||30.88713333, -104.79095000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 53.228', W 104° 47.457'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 53' 13.68" N, 104° 47' 27.42" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1130 Unnamed Road, Van Horn TX 79855, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.